Sittin On A Porch

Sittin On A Porch
Our little back porch

Friday, November 25, 2011

The day after

All of the work for the giant feast was worth it.  We had the traditional dinner, turkey, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, broccoli casserole, creamed onions, two type of cranberry sauce, relish, pumpkin pie, and sweet potato pie.  We had a bottle of Pierre Joullette, and glasses of acorn liquor.  We ate and laughed, talked and drank.  We did not talk about gratitude.  We did not need to.  You could see it in the faces, the eyes, the smiles.  You could hear it in the voices, the laughter.  It was a beautiful day.  The sun was bright, the day in the mid to upper 70s, the sky blue blue blue.  The table full, both of love and food.  A lovely day, a time to cook and share and look around you and be aware of all we have here.  Of how fortunate we are, to think of those who may not have as much. 

And today, black Friday, woke with another glorious day.  Clear skies so pale blue, a light breeze and the sun bright and warming the day into the mid to upper 70s.  Hard to believe anyone would call today black anything.  I hope the shoppers are having fun.  I am having fun staying as far away from the stores as possible.  Dad and I will be heading up to Moultrie within the next hour.  He was based there during his days in the Army Air Corp.  They turned on their famous Christmas lights.  We hope to be up there this evening to see them.  I am sure that Dad will entertain me with plenty of stories from those old days.  Of buying watermelons from the fields, of dating local girls, travelling through the state, wanting to be a part of the war.  A time gone by. 

And the biggest feast day of the year has passed, and I hoped to gain weight.  I did not.  I am down now to 115.  I started the week at 118 and I thought, no worries, everyone gains week during Thanksgiving.  Well, so much for that idea.  It is not that I am not eating, I am eating.  It feels likes I am eating a lot of food.  But within an hour of eating my stomach gives me trouble, and it almost seems like the more I eat the further behind I get.  I will see the amazing Dr. M in less then 2 weeks.  I have to gain back up to 120 minimum.  I am not sure how to do that.  And it is hard to discuss this with just about anyone, because it seems like most of the rest of the world is struggling in the opposite direction.  I am sorry.  I wish they could loose weight as easily as I do.  Shoot, I wish I could gain weight like a normal person.  But it just doesn't work as easy as it sounds like it should. 

Another Thanksgiving behind us.  Christmas lays ahead of us.  No deep thoughts, just one day at a time.  Trying to adjust to the last few days Dad is here.  I have enjoyed having my oldest brother and his family here.  I have enjoyed having Dad here.  But I worry about letting him leave on Sunday.  I know he takes care of himself.  I just worry about him.  He has taken care of himself for a while, but that does not mean it is easy for him. 

I have talked with friends the last few days.  Worried about my friend Colleen, a woman not much older then I am, laying in a hospital bed right now, a week after having a stroke.  She and her hubby, Spat took such good care of me when Larry was at the end of his life.  Now it is my turn to step up and help take care of them.  What a gift to be well enough.  To have life.  To be blessed with health and life and to be able to give back to others.  So many others have given to me this past two years.  I look forward to being able to give to others.  To feel worthy and as if I deserved all the love, nurturing and attention given to me on this journey.  Autumn is all around, life is slowing down a bit in nature as humans speed up their lives.  

Time to go get ready to take a little drive with Dad, to see a new place, remember a place from days gone by.  To be alive and to recognize how very lucky I am.   

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you had a good Thanksgiving, Kathleen. And I too am staying away from stores. I hope that your friend will get better from the stroke.

    ReplyDelete