Sittin On A Porch

Sittin On A Porch
Our little back porch

Friday, August 2, 2013

Hummingbird moths

As the evening cools and the sun slips below the tree tops the hummingbird moths have been coming out.  The native lilies and the butterfly ginger are blooming and the moths are zipping back and forth between blooms.  You would swear they were hummingbirds watching them fly and sip sweet nectar from each blossom, but they are more camouflaged.  Instead of the jeweled colors of the birds, the moths are beige to brown and can hang on to an oak tree in the hot part of the day and bled in, but when they come out in the evening they are enchanting.  You can walk right up to them, something you could never do without getting a hummer up your nose.  The bird variety is much more aggressive then the moths. 

We will be leaving Sunday, I have finished making my pillow cases.  I have made a lot of them.  I want to use them as hostess gifts.  They are bright and crazy and I have had fun making them.  I had bought most of the material when I first got sick.  And now I have finally made the cases.  Thirty one in all.

Some are more traditional, others a little funky.  Here is a photo of some of them:


The light isn't the best, so the colors aren't as bright.  hmmmm in some cases that might be a good idea.  Some are relaxing, are just fun.  I don't know why but I made a couple of pillow cases, I think I might have been short some, and had guests coming.  I always have material laying that I buy when I find it on sale.  I loved the first cases I made.  They were moons and stars on a blue and green tie dye material.  I had several different cases that worked with my sheets.  They are a lovely soft cotton and they get softer with each washing. 

I usually wrap most of my presents in cloth bags.  They are reusable.  And say what you wish, I can give you antidotes of the bags still be using, ten years or more later.  I thought this year instead of making bags, I would make a different type of bag, pillow cases.  I mean really, everyone  uses pillow cases.  I like giving presents that are useful.

Now to go start packing and to bed to sleep.  Another wonderful day.  I always enjoy our trips and adventures, even the little ones like today.  We sat in the waiting area of the   lawyers office to sign the papers.  The paperwork went quickly, but then to go through the process of the signatures and swearing and witnessing, well that takes time and is done with ceremony.  It was not wasteful of time or energy, four of us went through the process.  And it was pretty cool.  But there was about a 45 minute wait.  But that worked out fine actually because they had Reader's Digest.  It has been years since I read one, and I have to say, they are just as much fun.  We switched back and forth sharing articles together.  We laughed and laughed.  How many people can say they laughed that hard in a lawyer's office?

A busy, but happy day.  Lots to do tomorrow.  But we leave Sunday, so I get done, what I get done. 
now
sweet sleep
















 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this piece of writing is good, my younger sister is
    analyzing such things, so I am going to tell her.



    Also visit my blog :: webpage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is among the most vital info for me.
    And i'm glad reading your article. But want to
    remark on some general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D.

    Good job, cheers

    Here is my site recording studio design

    ReplyDelete