Sittin On A Porch

Sittin On A Porch
Our little back porch

Monday, March 3, 2014

Another Monday morning

It is another gray Monday morning here.  A little gray with thick fog that sprinkles your skin with a fine mist as you walk through it.  It is warmer then last week, but winter rages on up north.  I sit in front of the weather channel and watch the single digits appear in masses of pink, white and blue on the map where I have precious friends.  I don't know how they do it.  I can not say that I am any better acclimated to the cold then I was before.  Bless their hearts, I guess someone has to live there. 

A few weeks ago Dewdrop disappeared.  She was one of my Ameracuana chickens and laid lovely green eggs.  I searched and searched but could not figure out what happened to her.  A few days later Daisy disappeared, but I found her.  She was in the front yard her red and white feathers telling me which beloved chicken this was.  This was back when it was really cold here and at night you could hear all kinds of commotion going on under our mobile home.  The dogs were getting under there also and leaving clear evidence of where they were going in and out.  Bug kept putting the trailer skirt and admonishing the dogs.  Bob did not appear to be involved, but Edna and Harley both looked guilty.  A few days later we had over 60 vultures in the pasture.  I only counted the ones on the ground, I did not count those in the trees or in other yards.  You don't realize how big these birds are until 60 vultures all take wing at once with you in the middle of the black squawking feathered tornado.  I am not sure what term to use when referring to a flock of vultures.  I know you refer to a murder of crows, which I love, but vultures?

According to one web site I saw:  "A group of vultures is called a wake, committee, venue, kettle, or volt. The term kettle refers to vultures in flight, while committee, volt, and venue refer to vultures resting in trees."  Notice how they do not give a name for a group on the ground, so I guess 'wake' works just fine.  This is for black vultures, turkey vultures have additional names.  Always something new to learn.

The corpse of the opossum is gone, same with my sweet Dewdrop and Daisy, but the wake of vultures stay.  I have new peeps to introduce to my small but might flock, but it does not replace my two girls.  Dewdrop was a couple of years old, but Daisy was one of my newest girls and was a very funny chicken.  All of my peeps have good strong wing feathers but their bodies are still balls of fluff.  I need to get them out of the bath tub, but I am not sure they are big enough to go outside yet.  Even with a light and cage, but they need more space than they have now, and we need to give the ducks more of what they need. 

The ducks continue to amaze and tickle me.  They are bad about flooding the tub which is lovely for them to go splashing about, but the chickens, even though they are being good sports about it, they are not ducks.

I have one chick, the little weakling, Gardenia who is no longer a weakling and I have to say she has very large feet.  The other eight peeps have normal looking delicate pink feet but Gardenia is getting bigger then the others and her/his feet are like big birds.  Maybe she is simply going to be a big girl, but I won't be surprised if she turns out to be a rooster.  That is okay, John C has aged considerably this past year.  His second spur curls back on itself and must be constant pain.  He has a funky limp but to grab him and trim his spur again is unreasonable.  He suffers so much just being caught, and the spur, unless removed simply grows back in the same twist.

I am getting better about accepting my meds.  Dr. D gave me a mild muscle relaxer that I take at bedtime and my arm is a million times improved.  After the first dose the next morning I woke up much improved, but by this morning, I am thinking I can lay off the muscle relaxers in that my neck, arm and shoulder are all mostly back to normal.  Wooohooo!  I have had to be careful with them because the first day I felt so much better that I over did it.  That is a problem for these types of meds, whether for pain or to ease a spazzing muscle you feel so good that you over due it. 

I have had to give various labs pain meds for injuries chasing the ball, jumping fences, racing around corners, etc. but the dogs felt so good afterwards, they would jump right back up from a fall and keep going only to pay for it later that evening.  It is clear that I am not much smarter.  My brain just like theirs says, feeling good, lets run and jump and do whatever we want!!!

I hope everyone enjoyed Dr. Seuss's birthday.  I read Green eggs and Ham.  I just love that book.  I heard that Dr. Seuss was challenged by a friend to write that book.  I like to think of Dr. Seuss facing the challenge with a smile and then penned a cure funny children's story.

Bug's son and girlfriend have been visiting us for the last couple of days.  It is nice having them here.  Yesterday we took them out in the boat.  It was the nicest day in a while and everyone who owned a boat, new someone who owned a boat, or even people who simply wanted to own a boat were out on the water.  Boats everywhere.  Crazy people zipping past the smaller boats and pontoon boats as the sloshed around.  The sky was a deep blue, the weather almost warm and the sun gave its best effort to shine.  It was a fine day and the boat responded well getting out of the barn after way too long of a stay locked in the dark.  The kids seemed to enjoy the ride, but when we went to get something to eat, it appeared that everyone in the world, who were already out on the water, and everyone with a motorcycle were already crowded into the limited places near or on the water.  It took an hour and fifteen minutes to get a fish sandwich at the least busy place.  We were not right on the water but any restaurants that were on the water had lines out the door and every possible seat that could have any water view had people clustered together arm pit to arm pit.  Our food was good, but Bug and I do not normally take the boat out on the weekend, and we hope to not do that again.  Boating during the week while all the worker bees are busy at jobs, is glorious.  Weather permitting.

It had been months since we had been out in the boat, the tide was up and the green is coming back, but the river always looks the same, and always is changing.  I love that.  I was so happy to be on the Ms K and with my honey.  It was a beautiful day.

The kids are packing up and might be heading home tomorrow, weather permitting.  Kelly has to be back at work on Wednesday, so if they are going to get her back to work, they will have to leave tomorrow.  Such a short visit, but still great to have them.

They brought down their two dogs, Marley, an old black lab who is named after Bob Marley, not the dog in the book.  Rudy looks like a pit bull and shepherd mix.  He is sweet and he and Harley have become tight friends.  They are close to the same age and weight and play and wrestle non stop.  Harley has a bromance going on with Rudy.  It is fun to have five dogs again.  Especially knowing that two of them are only visiting.  Rudy wants to "play" with the cats.  They do not want to play with him.  Rudy has listened to each of us when we called him off when he finds one of the cats, but I wouldn't want to trust him alone with a cat.  Josh has fallen in love with Harley, Henry, our male Manx and Stella, the evil of the twins, Stella and Luna.  Luna has stayed safely protected in her laundry basket on the dryer. Henry hangs out with Luna on his spot on the front load washer.  Stella has stayed on Josh's lap as much as allowed.  Marina, Rudy has found her a couple of times but he has backed off each time we yelled.  Marina likes dogs and doesn't run like a normal cat.  I think that has actually worked in her favor in that Rudy just wants to "play" and when Marina doesn't run for him to chase he is as confused as Marina. 

Bug's Mom is coming home from the rehab place on Wednesday, she is pretty much back to her old self.  The physical therapist are trying to continue to work with her to build her stronger.  Now if she just keeps it up.  I know Dad will be glad to have her home, he misses her terribly.  Mom refers to the rehab center as jail, but has a good sense of humor about it and she just cracks me up with her stories of life in jail.

I have so many things to do, but I need to be more reasonable about how hard I push myself.  This is a rough time physically.  Too hard to even explain.  The pain goes away with the meds, but not really and every once in a while I have a piercing pain in my chest that stops me cold.  It goes away pretty quickly and honestly I am not doing anything that I shouldn't when these pains come.  Just out of the blue, so to speak.  Once they are gone, I am fine again, although a persistent buzzing takes a little while to disperse.  I think fear is more a part of the pain then the pain itself.  Yesterday I got chilled on the boat and my fingers all turned white and buzzed.  They ached to touch anything, but I could not "feel" what I was touching and picking up things was difficult, even a bottle of water.  It took about an hour for them to get their color back and for the buzzing to stop.  The color crept up knuckle by knuckle.  I am sure it is no big deal, but it is just so weird.

My brain does not seem to be working very well this morning.  I think I could lay down and sleep a hundred years, but I need to get a few things down so that my mind will rest with my body.  Last night my mind was running and spinning and somersaulting through all the things going on in my world, and when I would say to myself, "You need to sleep."  I would hear myself sleep.  I heard my sleeping breath and my mind would get so confused.  It was awake but my body was asleep.  I think my mind would then shut down occasionally, and it was more restful.  It was a wild experience, I wonder if people in comas ever experience this.  I am sure this sounds weird.  But my life is evolving or devolving so that time is different, I experience things I try to explain to Bug, but words don't really do justice to the crazy things going on.

Yesterday Bug and I ripped down the walls in the master bedroom.  We didn't pull down the studs, just the paste board and drywall they had used.  We have been working on the wall paper in the  upstairs bedroom and I need to get that finished.  The electricians are supposed to finish today.  That means the next contractors can start later this week on the Florida room.  Bug and I can start pulling out carpet and order our floors.  So much to do to keep my mind off the little changes limiting my body.  This is bad timing with my health to now have to start all this labor, but it is perfect timing to give me a goal and things to fill my creative brain instead of focusing on what I can no longer do.

Dearly Departed opens this weekend.  Carolyn and I have talked about going to see it on opening night.  I am not sure with Mom/Dad and Bug want to see it, but I can always spend time with Carolyn.  I enjoy her company and we both enjoy a lot of the same things.

Time to get up and going.  Laundry needs to be moved and folded.  The kitchen is clean, but I need to vacuum.  I also need to start packing.  There is so much to do, thank goodness I can work a lot of it out at night in my sleep.  Now if I could sleep and pack, well, that would be useful.

Life is good.  The sky is clearing leaving a blue sky but rain will be coming back in again soon.  My azaleas are bursting at the seam with fat flower buds in white, pink and magenta.  By our Anniversary on Sunday we should have a yard filled with color.  Flowers waving in the wind, and soon the butterflies will join them in their spring dance.  The trees are starting to burst open and my heart sings, "Spring is bursting out all over...."  the words of a song from another memory dancing as a small child in the end of year recital. 

Life has been good
life is still good
life is ever changing

No comments:

Post a Comment